2014 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R ABS 636
2014 Kawasaki ZX6R IMG_7336
What’s in a number? Only everything. Six percent may not sound like much, but it is the displacement advantage the 2014 Ninja® ZX™-6R ABS supersport has over the rest of the 600cc class. This performance advantage began over a decade ago with the first 636, a revolutionary machine that blew-away the competition’s 600’s and won races against factory 750’s on the track. The 2014 ZX-6R ABS continues family tradition of racetrack dominance and unmatched street cred with its physical embodiment of the family slogan: Performance Counts!
• Class-leading Supersport performance and styling deliver a youthful dose of street potency
• 636cc inline-four offers racetrack-ready power yet extremely flexible delivery on the street
• Selectable engine power modes allow riders to adjust power delivery to riding conditions
• Three-mode KTRC traction control puts the power to the pavement whether it’s dry and grippy or rain-slick
• Showa Separate Function Big Piston Fork (SFF-BP) offers light weight, easy adjustability and smoother initial suspension tracking
• Supersport-grade KIBS ABS provides maximum stopping performance, with added peace of mind
• Nissin one-piece “monobloc” radial-mount front brake calipers and radial-pump front brake master cylinder offer superb braking modulation with an accurate and direct feel at the lever
• F.C.C. clutch with assist function offers light clutch pull and strong clamping force for less clutch slippage under acceleration while slipper function minimizes wheel chatter caused by aggressive downshifting
• Aggressive styling and sharp, aerodynamic and bodywork clearly shout: “Performance Counts!”
• Lightweight twin-spar aluminum frame places the engine in the optimum position for superb handling and rider feedback and also features a 23.5-degree rake angle for quick steering response, maximum maneuverability and to promote clear communication from the front tire
• Reduced friction steering stem seals for easy steering inputs and noticeably improved low speed handling
• 636cc displacement uses a long-stroke to boost engine performance throughout the rev range. Low-mid range torque is especially impressive, and provides satisfying real world performance
• Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®) system features four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies with oval sub-throttles
• Chrome-moly steel camshafts are light, strong and durable
• Pistons crown enhances strength and accommodates the high valve lift
• 12.9:1 compression ratio is optimum for this engine’s bore & stroke
• Molybdenum coating on piston skirts reduces friction and facilitates engine break-in
• Strong connecting rods suit the power delivery of this engine
• High-performance airbox design contributes to peak power and smooth power delivery
• Single-bore intake funnels improve low-mid range torque. Two different funnel shapes (outer are the same, inner are the same) help deliver optimized throttle response
• Ultra-fine atomizing injectors help ensure complete air-fuel mixing and maximum combustion efficiency. Optimum tuning contributes to reduced emissions.
• Balance tubes on all four header pipes to maximize low-end torque
• Exhaust pre-chamber makes efficient use of space, reduces exhaust noise and allows a smaller muffler to be used
• Triangular cross-section muffler provides sufficient internal volume while still offering good ground clearance and maximum lean angle, as well as a compact appearance
• Generator designed to produce less heat and reduce mechanical loss
• Zero-cross control voltage regulator significantly reduces the amount of electronic noise produced when it interrupts the generator’s output
• Cassette-type transmission helps simplify ratio-swaps and reduce set-up time at the track
• Lightweight EK 520 RMX/3D x-ring drive chain is very compact and uses lightening holes on the inner link plates to reduce weight.
Selectable Power Modes
• Power mode selector on the left clip-on gives ZX-6R riders the option to choose between “Full” and “Low” engine power delivery modes to suit their needs
• Output at low rpm is the same in both modes, but “Low” mode limits peak engine output to approximately 80% and gives a milder throttle response. “Full” mode allows the full performance potential of the engine to be unleashed
Three-Mode Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC)
• Three-mode KTRC traction control combines the best elements of the Ninja ZX-10R S-KTRC and ZX-14R/Concours™14 KTRC systems.
• Three different modes are tuned to cover a wide-range of situations from advanced racetrack use, to normal street riding, to mixed/slippery conditions, for enhanced rider confidence
• Mode 1 is tuned to maximize acceleration, like the ZX-10R S-KTRC system
• Mode 2 is tuned to help provide a balance of performance with minimal wheel slip
• Mode 3 prioritizes slip elimination, similar to the Concours14® ABS sport touring KTRC system, for enhanced rider confidence in mixed or slippery conditions
• The KTRC system may also be turned-off completely, at the rider’s discretion
• Handy mode selector on the left clip-on makes it easy for the rider to change KTRC settings
• Using complex programming algorithms, the KTRC system is able to predict impending wheelspin and act before slippage exceeds the optimum range, allowing reductions in power to be minimized for ultra-smooth operation
• In modes 1 and 2, conditions are analyzed 200 times per second and any necessary adjustments are made through ignition timing alone, for extremely quick response from the engine and KTRC system
• In Mode 3, the system functions like mode 2 under most conditions, but when excessive rear wheel spin is detected, Mode 3 switches to complete three-way control of ignition timing, fuel delivery and intake airflow to regulate engine output to a level that allows the rear wheel to regain grip. By controlling the sub-throttles in the intake tract for precise torque management, a smooth and natural feeling can be attained: Mode 3 intervention and on/off transitions are very smooth to help maintain stability
• The system uses minimal hardware supplemented by advanced software. In addition to the engine’s ECU, the system only requires front and rear wheel speed sensors, meaning minimal additional weight is required for traction control.
F.C.C. Clutch with Assist and Slipper Functions
• F.C.C. clutch with assist & slipper functions uses two types of cams, an assist cam and a slipper cam that were developed based on racetrack testing and rider feedback
• The F.C.C. clutch’s “assist” cam acts like a self-servo mechanism, pulling the clutch hub and operating plate together to compress the clutch plates under load. This allows the total clutch spring count and pressure to be reduced, resulting in up to a 25% reduction in effort at the clutch lever
• The assist cam also increases the torque capacity of the clutch so it can cope with the extra torque produced by the 636cc engine, without gaining any weight
• The F.C.C. clutch’s “slipper” cam reduces the clamping force on the clutch hub and operating plate when back-torque conditions are present and helps prevent rear wheel hop on trailing-throttle and when down-shifting
• Spring plate assembly provides smoother engagement and helps minimize clutch judder
Supersport-grade KIBS ABS with Monobloc Nissin Calipers
• KIBS is a multi-sensing system, using input from numerous sources. In addition to front and rear wheel speed sensors (standard for any ABS system), KIBS also monitors front caliper hydraulic pressure and data from the engine’s ECU (throttle position, engine speed, clutch actuation and gear position)
• Compact, lightweight BOSCH ABS unit was designed specifically for sportbike use and made its first mass-production appearance on the 2011 Ninja ZX-10R
• Highly-precise brake pressure control enables the system to avoid a reduction in brake performance due to excessive pressure drops, and allows good brake lever feel to be maintained during KIBS intervention by providing smaller and lighter ABS pulses than comparable systems
• Supersport models frequently encounter higher braking forces than less sporting models, so there is a greater likelihood of rear tire lift under extreme deceleration. By monitoring hydraulic pressure at the front calipers, KIBS is able to regulate pressure increases and help reduce the tendency of the rear tire to lift.
• By accounting for back-torque, KIBS is able to offer increased rear brake control during downshifts. KIBS parameters include throttle position, clutch actuation and gear position, allowing the system to predict back-torque caused by trailing-throttle at high-rpm, or down-shifting. Rear wheel slip due to engine braking often triggers ABS action on standard systems, but by preventing unnecessary ABS intervention in these situations, KIBS helps enhance rear brake control
• Thanks to the compact size and light weight of the ABS unit, the entire system adds only 4.4 pounds compared to non-ABS models
• Highly rigid, radial-mount “monobloc” Nissin brake calipers offer superb control and a firm feel at the front brake lever
• Semi-floating 310mm stainless-steel petal-type front rotors contribute to strong braking performance
• Radial-pump master cylinder gives excellent lever feel and helps offer superb brake modulation
• Front brake hose routing features a three-way joint at the lower triple clamp that facilitates effective brake line bleeding to help maintain a firm feel at the front brake lever
• ZX-10R superbike rear brake caliper helps offer good anti-fade performance and squeezes a 220mm petal-type rotor
• Rear brake pedal is mounted coaxially with the footpeg for good braking efficiency mid-stroke and excellent response to lever inputs
• Rear brake master cylinder reservoir is mounted forward of the swingarm pivot, to maximize space around the footpeg
Separate Function - Big Piston (SFF-BP)
• SFF-BP fork combines the features of Showa’s big piston and separate function forks, featuring springs on both sides, with dedicated preload adjustability in the left tube and dedicated damping pistons and adjustability in the right tube
• Big Piston design provides smooth action during the initial part of the stroke and contributes to excellent feel during heavy braking. The large-diameter damper piston is much bigger than those used in traditional “cartridge” forks
• Big Piston design allows the fork oil to act on a much larger surface area, so the damping pressure can be reduced without compromising effectiveness. Reducing the damping pressure allows the slider to react more smoothly, which is especially noticeable during the initial part of the stroke. The result is greater control as the fork begins to compress and very calm response during braking-induced weight-transfer, for greater chassis stability on corner entry
• Fork settings were tuned for maximum effectiveness on twisty roads, allowing a high level of performance for the racetrack, with a comfortable ride in the city and on the highway
• SFF-BP design offers much easier adjustability, by locating all adjusters in the caps at the top of the two fork tubes: preload on the left; compression and rebound damping on the right.
Bottom-link Uni-Trak® Rear suspension
• Bottom-link Uni-Trak® rear suspension offers 5.3 inches of travel and features a gas-charged shock
• Rear spring features a softer rate to enhance ride comfort and compliance when the road isn’t racetrack-smooth
• Rear suspension linkage has a high leverage ratio for improved rear ride comfort
• Full adjustability includes: stepless compression and rebound damping adjustments and fully adjustable spring preload
• Lightweight twin-spar aluminum frame places the engine in the optimum position for superb handling and rider feedback
• A 23.5 rake angle helps quicken steering response, enhance maneuverability and promotes clear communication from the front tire
• Reduced friction steering stem seals for easy steering inputs and noticeably improved low speed handling
• Intake resonator box and supports for the instrument panel and mirrors are unitized with the ram air duct, contributing to weight savings and increased rigidity
• Forward-tilted engine layout gives a steep intake angle and excellent CG
• The sub-frame is a lightweight two-piece aluminum die-casting and is very narrow for a compact and slim rear profile
• Front fairing features a sharp design that communicates an aggressive image
• Large fairing openings provide increased airflow and enhanced heat dissipation
• Lower fairing, rear cowl, and assorted blacked-out panels contribute to the bike’s compact and lightweight appearance
• One-piece front fender offers excellent aerodynamics
• Projector beam headlights feature sharp looking housings with integrated position lamps
• Front turn signals are built into the bodywork and compact rear turn signals complement the minimalist tail section
• Compact LED taillight is lightweight, very bright and offers modern high-tech appearance
• Inner fender above the swingarm helps to reduce turbulence and helps keep the undertail clean
• Instrument panel gives at-a-glance information to the rider. An analog-style tachometer is complemented by a multi-function LCD screen
• LCD functions include KTRC, Power Mode and Economical Riding (ECO) indicators
• Additional LCD functions include a digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meter, clock, instant and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, and shift indicator, traction control activity and low-fuel warning lamps
• Large gear position indicator gives instant numerical gear confirmation
• Mirror design offers increased rearward visibility without increasing overall vehicle width
• Ergonomic seat-peg-bar layout places the handlebars close to the rider and the footpegs in a moderate rearset position for an intuitive high-performance riding position that is comfortable enough for everyday use
• Fuel tank is flared around its top, similar to the ZX-10R, providing a large contact patch for excellent rider feedback
• Slim-waisted fuel tank makes it easy for the rider to grip the tank with their knees, or to hang off in turns
• Front of seat is narrow and low for a slim riding position and a short reach to the pavement
Genuine Kawasaki Accessories
• An adjustable Öhlins twin-tube steering damper is available as an accessory, to help ensure stable damping performance and superb kickback absorption, even under race conditions.
• A taller, “bubble” windscreen is available to provide enhanced aerodynamic protection
• Frame sliders/engine guards are available to help protect the engine and chassis
• Axle sliders are available to help protect the fork legs and front brakes
• A stylish color-matched seat cowl is available and mounts in place of the rear seat to enhance the visual aggression of the Ninja ZX-6R
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, Inline-four
- Displacement: 636 cc
- Bore x Stroke: 67.0 x 45.1mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.9:1
- Fuel System: DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies and oval sub-throttles
- Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
- Transmission: 6-Speed
- Final Drive: 520 series X-ring chain
- Rake/Trail: 23.5 deg. / 4.0 in.
- Frame type: Aluminum perimeter
- Front Tire Size: 120/70-ZR17
- Rear Tire Size: 180/55-ZR17
- Wheelbase: 54.9 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 41mm inverted Showa SFF-BP fork with top-out springs, stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Bottom-link Uni-Trak® with gas-charged shock, stepless compression and rebound damping adjustments, 25-way adjustable rebound damping, fully adjustable spring preload / 5.3 in.
- Front Brakes: Dual 310mm petal rotors with dual radial-mount, Nissin four-piston, monobloc calipers and KIBS ABS
- Rear Brakes: Single 220mm petal rotor with single-piston caliper and KIBS ABS
- Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gal.
- Seat Height: 32.7 in.
- Curb Weight: 423.4 lb.
- Overall Length: 82.1 in.
- Overall Width: 27.8 in.
- Overall Height: 43.9 in.
- Color(s): Lime Green / Flat Ebony, Pearl Flat Crystal White / Flat Ebony
- Warranty: 12 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, DOHC, four valve per cylinder, Inline-four
- 636 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 67.0 x 45.1mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies and oval sub-throttles
- TCBI with digital advance
- Front Suspension
- 41mm inverted Showa SFF-BP fork with top-out springs, stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in. travel
- Rear Suspension
- Bottom-link Uni-Trak® with gas-charged shock, stepless compression and rebound damping adjustments, 25-way adjustable rebound damping, fully adjustable spring preload / 5.3 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 310mm petal rotors with dual radial-mount, Nissin four-piston, monobloc calipers and KIBS ABS
- Rear Brakes
- Single 220mm petal rotor with single-piston caliper and KIBS ABS
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 54.9 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.7 in.
- 23.5 deg.
- 4.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.5 gal.
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 423.4 lb.
- Final Drive
- 520 series X-ring chain
- Standard: Digital
- Standard: Analog
- Standard: Digital
- Lime Green / Flat Ebony, Pearl Flat Crystal White / Flat Ebony
- 12 months