2020 Yamaha YZ250F
Tune, Race, Win
Powerful and reliable with push‑button electric start and the smartphone power tuner app make this the moto weapon of choice.
- High Tech 250cc Four-Stroke: The YZ250F™ is ready to roost the competition, with race-winning features never before seen in the 250cc class.
- Power Tuner App: Yamaha's exclusive Power Tuner app puts the flexibility and precision tunability of the GYTR® Power Tuner into your smartphone. Make fueling and ignition timing changes instantly and upload them to the bike for the ultimate in track-side tuning.
- Electric Starter System: Utilizing a compact starter motor and ultra-lightweight lithium battery, the YZ250F brings the convenience of push-button starting to the racetrack, for effortless restarts under pressure, and relaxed riding when the clock isn't ticking.
- Advanced Engine Design: Featuring a high-spec piston, aggressive cam profiles, cylinder geometry and more, Yamaha's reversed cylinder head layout works to give YZ250F riders the best balance of high-rpm power with a broad, useable powerband.
- Tuned Aluminum Frame: Yamaha's bilateral beam frame features main spars, engine mounts and mounting position all designed to centralize mass and provide an ideal balance between cornering feel and straight-line rigidity.
- Class-Leading Suspension: Yamaha continues to use spring-type forks with refined, speed-sensitive damping to give industry-leading suspension performance straight out of the box.
- Innovative and Upgraded Engine: The liquid-cooled, DOHC 4-valve, fuel-injected engine features a forward-positioned straight downdraft intake with symmetrical intake and exhaust ports. A high-compression piston works with intake and exhaust cam timing to deliver outstanding engine character with a focus on top-end power delivery.
- Exclusive Power Tuner App: Breaking new ground in the industry - again - Yamaha created the Power Tuner app, which brings the power of the GYTR Power Tuner to your iOS® or Android® device. Using wireless connectivity to talk to the bike's onboard CAN-bus network, the app allows owners to adjust air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps to tune engine performance for track conditions, record race log information, and monitor a range of data such as maintenance and system diagnosis, engine run time, and more.
- Electric Starter System: The YZ250F features a compact electric starter system to minimize restart delays on track and add convenience everywhere else. Powered by a high-capacity and ultra-lightweight, four-cell lithium-ion battery, the system adds minimal weight.
- Adjustable Engine Maps: Two-mode adjustable engine mapping allows the rider to adjust engine character with the push of a button, making it easy to tune the YZ250F for changing track or weather conditions.
- Piston, Rod and Crankshaft Balance: A flat-top forged piston features a bridge-box design for additional strength with minimal weight. The piston, rings and DLC-coated piston pin, along with the offset cylinder configuration, all reduce friction loss and contribute to quick response. The engine's intake ports, cam profiles, high-strength connecting rod and optimized crank and counterbalancer all work together to produce potent high-rpm power with user-friendly delivery and exceptional reliability.
- Advanced Fuel Injection: The adjustable fuel injection system uses a 44mm throttle body, fed by a high-pressure electric fuel pump, injects fuel through a 12-hole Denso® injector. This ensures optimum fuel atomization and air/fuel calibration for excellent rideability in a wide range of riding conditions.
- Wraparound Rear Positioned Exhaust Layout: An innovative exhaust pipe design improves mass centralization and power development characteristics. This layout moves the rear end of the exhaust pipe farther forward and positions the muffler closer to the bike's center of mass.
- Durable Transmission: The transmission gears, dogs and shift mechanisms are designed to smooth gear changes and improve durability under the heavy demands of motocross racing. The YZ250F also features a large-diameter clutch to boost reliability even further under high-heat conditions.
- Enhanced Cooling: Lightweight radiators are larger and angled more directly in the incoming air stream, for improved cooling under the most demanding race conditions. Inside the engine, the high-flow impellor and water pump boost endurance and durability under the toughest racing conditions.
- Advanced Aluminum Frame: The YZ250F's compact frame refines the instinctive handling that makes this Yamaha one of the best handling machines in the class. Large upper frame bracing improves rigidity and durability, while wider rear frame spars and YZ250F-specific engine mounts centralize mass for the best possible balance of bump absorption, stiffness and feeling of grip.
- Compact Body and Seat Design: The YZ250F utilizes compact bodywork from tip to tail, including a narrow fuel tank specifically designed for motocross demands. In addition to shaving weight, the body design provides more comfortable knee grip and control feel, with a seat shaped to give the rider additional room to move aboard the machine.
- Enhanced Mass-Centralization: The engine, aluminum muffler and compact fuel tank are positioned close to the machine's center of mass. This layout contributes to centralized mass for a lightweight handling feeling on the track. The wide 55mm footpegs help lower the rider's center of gravity for enhanced machine balance, control and rider comfort.
- 270mm Front Brake: A large 270mm front brake disc is the same system fitted to the YZ450F™, and uses an aggressive pad material for exceptional stopping power and braking control. Out back, a durable heat-resistant rear rotor boosts brake durability.
- Class-Leading Suspension: Industry-leading, fully adjustable KYB® coil spring-type fork with speed-sensitive damping provides exceptional balance between handling and bump absorption, for race-winning handling performance. The linkage-type rear suspension features a KYB® shock with revised damping characteristics to match the chassis.
- Strong, Lightweight Wheels: Careful computer-aided refinement of each wheel's cross-sectional profile shaves valuable weight without sacrificing durability.
- Adjustable Handlebar Mounts: The 4-position adjustable handlebar mounts are rubber mounted to improve comfort and reduce handlebar vibration, while the alloy handlebar centralize overall mass.
- Embedded Graphics: Yamaha's unique embedded graphics are built into the bodywork for extended durability, resisting both peeling and damage.
- Race Winning Details: The YZ250F includes top-spec details, including 1-1/8" aluminum tapered handlebars, wide 55mm footpegs, a quick-adjust clutch perch, stylish blue rims and gold chain.
- Simplified Servicing: Sleek air cleaner cover provides tool-less access to the air filter, positioned at the front of the bike to avoid roost from the rear wheel.
- Engine Type: 250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 77.0mm x 53.6mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.8:1
- Fuel Delivery: Mikuni® fuel injection, 44mm
- Transmission: Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Chain
- Suspension / Front: KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork; fully adjustable, 12.2 in. travel
- Suspension / Rear: KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5 in. travel
- Brakes / Front: Hydraulic disc, 270mm
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 245mm
- Tires / Front: 80/100-21 Bridgestone® Battlecross® X20F
- Tires / Rear: 100/90-19 Bridgestone® Battlecross® X20R
- L x W x H: 85.6 in. x 32.5 in. x 50.6 in.
- Seat Height: 38.2 in.
- Wheelbase: 58.1 in.
- Rake (Caster Angle): 27.33 deg.
- Trail: 4.7 in.
- Maximum Ground Clearance: 13.2 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 1.6 gal.
- Wet Weight: 234 lb.
- Warranty: 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)
- Engine Type
- DOHC 4-stroke; 4 valves
- Bore and Stroke
- 77.0mm x 53.6mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Mikuni® fuel injection, 44mm
- Front Suspension
- KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork; fully adjustable, 12.2 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Hydraulic disc, 270mm
- Front Tire
- 80/100-21 Bridgestone® Battlecross® X20F
- Rear Suspension
- KYB® single shock; fully adjustable, 12.5 in. travel
- Rear Brakes
- Hydraulic disc, 245mm
- Rear Tire
- 100/90-19 Bridgestone® Battlecross® X20R
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 234 lb.
- Fuel Capacity
- 1.6 gal.
- 58.1 in.
- Ground Clearance
- 13.2 in.
- Seat Height
- 38.2 in.
- 4.7 in.
- 27.33 deg.
- Constant-mesh 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive
- Team Yamaha Blue, Gray
- 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)